
Village of Norris City’s first fire truck, a 1917 Model T Ford, as it looked when purchased from McLeansboro.
-Photo provided
A water system was constructed in Norris City in 1937. The water supply was taken from the reservoir constructed at the east city limits containing 26 acres of water. Norris City did not have a fire truck or fire department at that time.
My father, Charles M. Oliver, who was on the first Norris City Water Department board, as well as being a member of the Norris City Village board, was in McLeansboro where he learned that they had purchased a new fire truck and that their old fire truck was for sale. At the next Village Board meeting, it was voted to purchase this fire truck. This first fire truck of Norris City is a 1917 Model T Ford. It is still in Norris City and was driven in parades for a number of years by the Norris City American Legion. It is now in storage in Norris City and is owned by the Norris City Fire Protection District. This is the only fire truck ever owned by the Village of Norris City.

Dairy Day Parade in 1982 showing Parade Marshall Cooper South riding in the 1917 Model T Ford Fire truck driven by Phil Veatch.
-Photo provided
The movement to have fire protection for Norris City started about 1940 when a local fire caused the death of four people. The Norris City Fire Protection District, which is separate from the Village of Norris City, was established by a vote of the people around 1942. The district covers Norris City and the rural area surrounding Norris City.
The headline of an article on the front page of the Nov. 4, 1943 issue of the Norris City News reads “Norris City Fire Protection District Gets New Fire Truck.” The article reads in part as follows:
“The people of this community can well afford to be proud of their new fire truck, which arrived Tuesday from Elmira, N. Y.
“It will be remembered several months ago the Norris City Fire Protection was organized, taking in a territory which practically covers all of Indian Creek Township [an area of about 50 square miles]. I. E. Turner was made president, H. J. Phelps, secretary, H. O. Norris, treasurer. These men gave freely of their time and deserve much credit for their efforts in making the necessary arrangements and purchasing the new fire-fighting equipment, which includes the best money can buy. An American-LaFrance fire truck, 1000 feet of 2-1/2 inch hose, 200 ft of 1-1/2 inch hose, ladders, gas masks, coats, hats, foamite generator for oil fires, etc. were all purchased.
“The new fire truck is known as the new type 500 and has many outstanding features. Ample capacity is provided for carrying hose and other equipment. All pump controls and gauges are in a convenient, central panel. It is powered by a 170 H. P. heavy duty V-12 cylinder engine. The Centraflow pump is designed for efficiency and dependability, capable of throwing four streams of water from the same unit with much force.
“F. E. Welch has been named fire chief with the following assistants: Cooper South, Floyd Shain, Howard Johnson, Orland Spence, Wayne Summers, Harry Douglas, Arthur H. Marlin, Elwood Hill, Sherman Edwards, G. O. Moreland, Dalton Bishop, Wayne Willis, Ernie Hill, Clarence Haddock, and Ralph N. Hawkins.”
The red 1943 American-LaFrance fire truck is now owned by Eddie Hoskins of Norris City and he has completely restored it to its original condition. It has just a little over 9,000 actual miles on it.
The Norris City Fire Protection District currently has a modern fire station building on Wabash Street (Produce Row). It now has six fire protection trucks consisting of two yellow pumper fire trucks (one a 1983, the other a 2007) with the ability to pump over 1000 gallons of water a minute; one large tank truck that holds 3200 gallons of water; and two yellow Chevrolet brush trucks and one red Ford brush truck each with 4-wheel drive, the ability to pump about 400 gallons of water a minute, and foam capability.
Fire chiefs of the Norris city Fire Protection District since its creation have been F. E. Welch, Howard Johnson, John Stanley “Bat” Johnson, Robert J. “Bobby Joe” Beam, Ralph Hall, and Roy Kissel.
The current officers are Whitman Myatt, Board President; Curtis Stokes, Secretary; Gary Anderson, Treasurer; Roy Kissel, Chief; Ralph Hall, Assistant Chief; Joe Dismuke, Captain; and Lincoln Hobbs, Chaplain. Other members of the fire department are Phil Bond, Troy Dagley, Chris Garlick, Ronald Garlick, Troy Gothard, Brad Hall, Seth Healy, Derek Kingston, Sean Martin, Jarod McKenzie, Jonathan Noel, Zac Pearce, Chris Roper, Jordan Weiss, and Justin Williams, Cooper South, who passed away on Sept. 3, 2012, at the age of 98, was a member for the longest period of time and was one of the original members of the fire department.
Congratulations to the Norris City Fire Protection District members. Norris City has about the finest line up of fire trucks and equipment of any community of this size anywhere around, and the Norris City community should be very proud of what we have to serve the community.
Now the Norris City Fire Protection District is trying to raise money to restore Norris City’s first fire truck – the 1917 Model T Ford. They are collecting and selling aluminum cans and scrap metal, holding raffles, and such to raise the funds. Anyone wishing to donate items or money to this cause may drop off or send donations to the Fire Chief, Roy Kissel, Mayor of Norris City, at the Village Hall or give donations to any member of the fire department. Checks can be made payable to the Norris City Fire Protection District. The restored fire truck will then be put on display in the building west of the fire station (formerly used as a service station).
If you have any information about or pictures of the Villagers’ Voice area to share with the readers of these articles, please contact me at Edward Oliver, P. O. Box 456, Norris City, IL 62869, telephone 618-378-3176, or email edoliver2@yahoo.com.

