Walmart shoppers on Monday were filming people on their cell phones as they left the Carmi Walmart on Monday. It was reported that management was clearing the store in response to a possible threat. Law enforcement was on site and rumors abounded. The cell phone video was seen on Facebook.
The Villagers' Voice spoke with Carmi Police Chief Jason Carter this morning and ascertained that the "possible threat" was a bit overblown, but that the management team at Walmart had done exactly what they were supposed to do. Somehow a rumor had started inside the store that someone was in a dressing room and was armed; this information turned out to be entirely false. It turns out that a phone call from someone out of state asking about toilet paper had mentioned that he would come "packing," which led to the response from management. The store was letting customers in shortly after it was ascertained what had actually happened and the store was cleared for shoppers.
- Norris City’s Annual Town Wide Yard Sales Take Place Friday and Saturday - June 4, 2020
- White County Board Meeting Agenda Set for Tuesday Morning - June 4, 2020
- Illinois Patriots Group Brings Information to Local Business Owners - June 4, 2020
- Enfield Blue Ribbon 4-H Club Hold 4-H Week Proclamation Signing - June 3, 2020
- Zachary Holloway Sentenced on Monday - June 3, 2020