Monday afternoon, May 8, found the Fighting Cardinal Baseball team heading to Carrier Mills to play their final Greater Egyptian Conference game of the year against the Wildcats. NCOE jumped out to the early 1-0 lead following one inning of play and went on to add another run in the top of the second inning to extend their lead to 2-0. This score would stand until the Fighting Cardinals would add another run in the top of the fourth and fifth innings and then erupt for a monstrous five-run sixth inning to stretch their advantage to a commanding 9-0 lead. Steady defense and a commanding pitching performance from start to finish by senior, Matt Long, was all NCOE needed to claim the 9-0 shutout against a solid Carrier Mills team.
Cooper Wells knocked out three hits in the contest to lead the Fighting Cardinals. Trey Simmons followed closely with two hits of his own while Matt Long, Andy Brinkley, Jeb Baumgart, Brandon Skaggs, and Ben Taylor each collected one hit. Wells, Taylor, and Baumgart each collected two RBI’s and Simmons had one.
Matt Long was the starting pitcher on the hill for NCOE (7-8 overall 6-3 GEC). Long picked up the complete game victory allowing nary on just five hits while striking out seven.
- Fighting Cardinals advance to Regional Championships - May 24, 2017
- Black fans 12, Wilson goes yard – Lady Cardinals move on - May 24, 2017
- Long leads NCOE to commanding 9-0 shutout victory - May 17, 2017
- Lady Cardinals top Lady Pirates - May 10, 2017
- Simmons helps Fighting Cardinals clinch regular season GEC title - May 10, 2017