IHSA Class 1A Regional Softball Tournament action kicked off Monday afternoon with the Norris CIty-Omaha-Enfield Lady Cardinals playing host to the Carrier Mills Lady Wildcats.
Although NCOE already claimed an impressive victory over the Lady Wildcats earlier in the season, it is apparent that when tournament play begins, anything can happen. This was the case for the Lady Cardinals as they came out sluggish in their first round game. Carrier Mills was able to strike first in the opening inning to claim the early 1-0 lead. The Lady Wildcats would push two more runs across the plate in the top of the second inning to extend their lead over the Lady Cardinals to 3-0 along with adding one more run in the top of the fifth to push their advantage to four. NCOE would manage to get several runners on base but some amazing defensive plays on the part of the Lady Wildcats would hold the Lady Cardinals scoreless throughout the first five innings but this scoreless streak would finally come to a close in the sixth inning when NCOE managed to score their first two runs of the contest to narrow the Carrier Mills lead to just two. However, this would be as close as NCOE would ever come as the Lady Wildcats would shut them down in the final frame to pull off the upset victory 4-2.
Emma Gwaltney led the Lady Cardinals at the plate with two hits followed by Natalie Wilson, Haleigh Poole, and Madison Cox with one hit a piece. Poole was responsible for both RBI’s while Gwaltney and Cox scored one run each.
Ally Black took the loss in the circle firing a complete game allowing four runs (two earned) on five hits and striking out six.
NCOE closes the season with a 7-11 record.
- Healy, Prather and Tucker repp’n Jr Cards Baseball at Class M All-Star game - October 17, 2018
- Fighting Cardinals Claim 2nd Place in GEC Conference - October 17, 2018
- Right is right, wrong is wrong…a State trophy for Jr. Cardinal Baseball does belong - October 17, 2018
- Jr. Cards victim of controversial loss at State Tourney - October 3, 2018
- STATE BOUND… NCOE Jr. Cards Walk Away Victorious Over Albion - October 2, 2018