The Norris City-Omaha-Enfield Fighting Cardinal baseball team welcomed the Pope County Pirates to town Thursday afternoon for their second Greater Egyptian Conference game of the season. This contest started out as a pitcher’s duel with neither team scoring a run in the first two innings of play. This scoreless streak, however, quickly came to an abrupt halt in the top of the third inning when the Pirates managed to cross the plate four times to take a 4-0 lead. This four run deficit for the Fighting Cardinals remained until the fifth inning when the Pirates stretched it to five after plating one additional run. NCOE responded nicely in the sixth inning when they crossed the plate two times to narrow the Pirate lead to three, but Pope County shut the Fighting Cardinal rally down before they could cut into the lead anymore. Neither team would score in the seventh inning leaving NCOE on the wrong side of a 5-2 score. NCOE moves to 1-2 overall and 1-1 in GEC play.
Ty Lane, Collin Sexton, Jeb Baumgart, Trey Simmons, Brandon Skaggs, and Jack Riggs each had one hit for the Fighting Cardinals. Baumgart and Sexton scored one run a piece while Ty Lane was credited with two RBI’s.
Starting pitcher, Jack Riggs hurled 4 2/3 innings allowing five runs (one earned) on four hits and striking out six. Wade Sauls relieved Riggs to finish the game allowing no runs on two hits.
- Pesky defense lifts Jr. Cards to victory over Colts - December 12, 2018
- High flying Jr. Cards soar past Jr. Eagles - December 12, 2018
- NCOE comes up just shy in White County battle - December 12, 2018
- Fighting Cardinals sweep Trojans to kick off GEC play - December 5, 2018
- Healy, Tucker, and Long claim LGEC All Conference honors - November 28, 2018