The Norris City-Omaha-Enfield Fighting Cardinal baseball team kicked off their Class 1A Regional Tournament play when they played host to the top seeded Edwards County Lions Thursday afternoon.
This contest managed to get underway as scheduled, but as the second inning was coming to a completion, the skies would open and a downpour would prevail causing a halt in play. At this time, with the Lions claiming a 6-0 advantage, it was determined that the field was unplayable, and the game would pick back up Friday afternoon in Albion. When action resumed, the Fighting Cardinals came to bat in the top of the third inning and quickly cut into the Lion’s lead as they plated two runs to bring the score to 6-2. The Lions responded right back in the bottom half of the third with three runs of their own to push their advantage out to 7 runs. NCOE could not muster another run in the contest while the Lions would manage to cross the plate one time in the bottom of the fourth and three times in the the bottom of the fifth inning to end the Fighting Cardinals season with a 13-2 final score.
NCOE struggled at the plate as they were only able to collect two hits in the game. One belonging to Brandon Skaggs and the other going to Jeb Baumgart. Jack Riggs and Wade Sauls each scored a run for the Fighting Cardinals while Skaggs collected the lone RBI.
Trey Simmons took the loss on the bump as he pitched 1 1/3 inning allowing six runs on three hits. Jack Riggs relieved Simmons in the second inning to pitch one inning allowing three runs on one hit. Wade Sauls would then come in to pitch in the third inning to fire two innings allowing four runs on two hits along with recording one strikeout.
- Healy, Prather and Tucker repp’n Jr Cards Baseball at Class M All-Star game - October 17, 2018
- Fighting Cardinals Claim 2nd Place in GEC Conference - October 17, 2018
- Right is right, wrong is wrong…a State trophy for Jr. Cardinal Baseball does belong - October 17, 2018
- Jr. Cards victim of controversial loss at State Tourney - October 3, 2018
- STATE BOUND… NCOE Jr. Cards Walk Away Victorious Over Albion - October 2, 2018