WAR EMERGENCY PIPELINE MARKER
By Edward Oliver
On February 19, 1943 a pipeline was completed from Longview, Texas to Norris City, Illinois.
Ninety-five percent of the crude oil delivered to east coast refineries in the United States at the beginning of World War II originated in Texas and was delivered by oil tankers from the Gulf of Mexico. German submarines (U-boats) were sinking these tankers at the rate of three per day with few getting through to the east coast refineries. President Franklin D. Roosevelt appointed a committee to resolve this problem. They recommended an oil pipeline be built from Longview, Texas to Norris City, Illinois and the oil then be shipped by railroad oil tank cars to the east coast refineries as well as storing supplies of oil in tanks at Norris City.